Barcelona ace Marc-Andre Ter Stegen eyes new deal after Claudio Bravo's switch to Manchester City

Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre Ter Stegen has his eyes on a new deal with the Spanish giants, after successfully filling the No 1 spot vacated by Claudio Bravo.

Ter Stegen has stepped into the spotlight since Bravo's £17million departure to Manchester City in the summer and has established himself as the new first-choice goalkeeper.

Now the player's agent has hinted his client is aiming to extend his stay in Catalonia beyond his current deal.

Marc-Andre Ter Stegen is now first choice at the Nou Camp and wants a new Barcelona deal
Marc-Andre Ter Stegen is now first choice at the Nou Camp and wants a new Barcelona deal
The German goalkeeper finally has first-team football at Barca and wants it to continue
The German goalkeeper finally has first-team football at Barca and wants it to continue
 
His agent Gerd vom Bruch told Diari Ara: 'He wanted to play more and there was interest in him from some big clubs,' reports goal.com.

'Barca said that there was no way they would let him go, though, and we accepted that.
'Now Marc's in the position which he himself had set as his target, starting in the league and in Europe. He can see himself renewing his contract with Barca.'

Ter Stegen joined the Catalan club from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014, for a fee in the region of £10m.

Ter Stegen joined Barca in a £10m deal from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014
Ter Stegen joined Barca in a £10m deal from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014

The German stopper found his chances limited however, with a constant battle with Claudio Bravo for the jersey on his hands.

Bravo departed Spain during the summer transfer window, to link up with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.

The Chilean, who is renowned for his ball-playing ability with his feet, made the switch to the Etihad to displace long term number one Joe Hart.

Since Bravo's departure Ter Stegen has made the position between the Barcelona goalposts his own, and has made six appearances so far for the club this season.

Claudio Bravo joined Manchester City in the summer paving the way for Ter Stegen to play
Claudio Bravo joined Manchester City in the summer paving the way for Ter Stegen to play
Barca brought in goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen from Ajax but Ter Stegen remains number one
Barca brought in goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen from Ajax but Ter Stegen remains number one

The five-times champions league winners did recruit in the goalkeeping department following Bravo's exit to England, signing Holland international Jasper Cillessen from Ajax.

Cillessen attracted the headlines during the 2014 World Cup, in which former Holland manager Louis van Gaal substituted the goalkeeper off immediately prior to the quarter-final penalty shootout against Costa Rica.

But, despite Cillessen's arrival, Ter Stegen has been able to cement the number one position as his own and is set to start in Barcelona's upcoming Champions League tie against his former employers Borussia Monchengladbach on Wednesday (September 28)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.